Image of the state of Texas with Gregg county darkened in. Gregg County Sheriff's Office Image of the badge of Gregg County Sheriff's Office
Like Us on Facebook! Mobile Site
Home Press Releases Sex Offenders Most Wanted Contact Us
Sign Up For Alerts
Airport Public Safety
Aviation Division
Civil Division
Command Staff
Courthouse Security
Crime Stoppers
Criminal Investigations
D.A.R.E. Program
Emergency Management
Employment Opportunities
Fire Marshal
History
Information-Alerts-Links
Jail Division
Mounted Unit
Patrol Division
Project Lifesaver
Reserve Unit
SWAT
Warrants Division
Crime Tip HOTline 903-236-STOP (7867) or submit via email

Phone:
(903) 236-8400
(24 hours)

Emergency:
Dial 911
Email Map

101 East Methvin Street, Suite 559
Longview, Texas 75601

Admin Office Hours:
M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm
 
     
 
History

History of Gregg County and the Gregg County Sheriff’s Office

On April 12, 1873, an act of the 13th Legislature of the State of Texas created Gregg County. The new county was carved out of a portion of the existing Upshur County. The Honorable B. W. Brown, representative from Upshur County, was active in urging the passing of the act and in naming the county Gregg after General John B. Gregg, under whom he and others living in the new county served in the Confederate Army.

The act was presented to Texas Governor Edmund J. Davis for his approval on May 1, 1873, but the act was neither signed by him nor returned to the Texas House of Representatives during the time prescribed by the Constitution of the State of Texas and, therefore, became a law without Governor Davis' signature.

Commissioners were appointed, land surveys conducted, and the county elections commenced on June 25, 1873, and continued for four days. The following county officials were elected: R. B. Levy, District and County Clerk; M. S. Durham, Sheriff; Britton Buttrell, Treasurer; A. S. Taylor, Surveyor; T. D. Campbell, Peace Justice, Precinct 2; John W. Lawrence, Peace Justice, Precinct 4; and W. P. Victory, Peace Justice, Precinct 5, Longview was chosen as the county seat over the other nominee, Awalt, by a vote of 524 to 125.

On April 30, 1874, an act of the 14th Legislature of Texas approved extending the area of Gregg County southward to take in a part of Rusk County. Gregg County's boundaries as we know them today were finally established.

 

There have been 20 Sheriff's in the history of Gregg County

 

1.M. S. Durham: August 14, 1876 – 1880

2.T. D. Campbell: 1881 – 1882

3.A. A. Killingsworth: 1883 – 1890

4.J. C. Howard:  1891 – 1902

5.S.R. Thrasher:  1903 – 1906

6.G. W. Little:  1907 – 1914

7.J. R. Garner:  1915 – 1916

8.D. S. Meredith:  1917 – 1920

9.J. R. Garner:  1921 – 1922

10.A. A. King:  1923 – 1924

11.Martin Hays:  1925 – 1932

12.Will H. Hays:  1933 – 1936

13.A. A. King:  1937 – 1938

14.Will H. Hays:  1939 – 1942

15.Lonnie Smith:  1943 – 1946

16.Noble Crawford:  1947 – 1972

17.Tom Welch:  1973 – 1979

18.Mike Fetter:  December 28, 1979 – 1980

19.Bobby S. Weaver:  1981 – 2000

20.Maxey Cerliano:  2001 - present

 

 

 
 
     Gregg County Sheriff's Office | © 2017
     Gregg County, Texas
Brooks Jeffrey Marketing, Inc.